1. What services are available for my family member with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Collin County?

There are a variety of publicly funded services to support your family member living in your home or his/her own home or apartment. For individuals who can not, or do not wish to live at home there are small community group homes (usually for approximately six residents) and larger facilities may be available There are also Medicaid Waiver programs that offer a more extensive array of services. All of these options require a “determination of eligibility” by a qualified member of our staff, and many of these program options have “interest lists” or waiting lists. Step one is to contact our Eligibility Specialists at (972) 727-9133.

2. How do I start the process?

Call our Eligibility Specialists at (972) 727-9133. They can help you decide if your family member is likely to be eligible for services and begin the process. If appropriate, they can also refer you to other community resources.

3. What is the waiting or interest list that I hear about and why is it important?

Because there are many more people who want and need services to support individuals with development disabilities than there are services available, interest or waiting lists have developed. Since most of these lists (including the interest list for the important Home and Community Based Services or HCS Medicaid waiver program) are first come, first served, it is vital that you contact our Eligibility Specialists and add your name to the appropriate interest lists as soon as possible.

4. What is available to do during the day for my adult family member with intellectual and developmental disabilities?

Collin County does not currently have a large day habilitation program or sheltered workshop in the county. There are a number of small programs and there are providers working to open this type of program in the near future. Many individuals, however, are interested in working in the community, doing volunteer work, working out, seeing friends, etc. LifePath Systems Service Coordinators can assist clients enrolled in our programs in accessing these services and supports.

5. Can a person diagnosed with autism, or an autism spectrum disorder, receive services from LifePath Systems?

Yes, autism and other autism spectrum disorders are included in our services. These disorders include:

  • Pervasive Development Disorder, not otherwise specified (NOS)
  • Asperger’s disorder
  • Retts disorder
  • Childhood disintegrative disorder

Contact our Eligibility Specialists at (972) 727-9133 if you have questions about eligibility.

6. What is mental retardation?

Mental retardation is a diagnostic term used in Texas for state funded programs if all three of the following criteria are satisfied:

  • Significant sub-average intellectual functioning (an IQ under 70)
  • Concurrent deficits or impairments originating during the developmental period, before age 18; or
  • A determination of a person’s adaptive behavior level

A LifePath Systems staff psychologist will review existing documents, may interview people who know the person well, and may perform standardized testing to determine if a person meets the diagnostic definition of mental retardation during the LPS eligibility process.

7. What is DADS?

DADS is the acronym for The Department of Aging and Disability Services. DADS is the state level agency that is responsible for supporting individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and also the aged in the State of Texas. To learn more, visit https://www.dads.state.tx.us

8. Who do I call if I don’t know what my family member’s diagnosis is, but I need information on who can help?

Call one of our Eligibility Specialists at (972) 727-9133. They will help you sort through whether your family member is likely to be eligible for services, work through what services they are likely to need, give you information about adding your family member’s name to the appropriate interest lists and assist you if you are in crisis.

9. Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with an Intellectual Disability (ICF/IID)